I watched a great Ted Talk today titled, Your body language shapes who you are by Amy Cuddy. This engaging talk focused on how we (yes, you and I) can do some simple things to empower us.
People who expand – arms out, arms up, legs out, arms stretched on head, legs crossed taking up LOTS of space… have more power.
People who contract – closed arms, curled up legs, elbows near body, taking up tiny spaces … have no power.
The sweet thing I learned in this video is that by taking a powerful stance, my body takes on a powerful aura. My mind registers that feeling and it shows in my words, actions and demeanor.
Last week I employed the techniques that Amy Cuddy offers during a very depressing phone call.
I stood, reached, arms out, elbows up and as the conversation continued the input from me changed. My tone grew stronger, my stance improved and the overall message evened out as I rose to claim it.
You are really going to like this one!
Tell me what you think!
- What you don’t know about body language — but should (publicwords.typepad.com)
- And the winner is … (margekatherine.com)
- TED: Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are – Amy Cuddy (2012) (ted.com)
- Your body language shapes who you are (speakconfidently.wordpress.com)
- Body Language Mindfulness (responsiveuniverse.wordpress.com)
- Hello? Are you listening? (margekatherine.com)
- Fake It Till You Become It: Amy Cuddy (steamboatfriday.wordpress.com)
- The Gift of Gab (margekatherine.com)