I went to a St Patty’s Day parade yesterday. The streets were lined with people of all ages, tons of strollers, lots of dogs and everyone was bundled up. When the parade began the sky was clear, as it progressed the wind began to blow and gray clouds covered the sky. There were over 80 entries in this parade so it lasted a very long time. I walked to the beginning so I could see all 80 entries but I was unable to stay for the whole event. I was chilled to the bone.
One troop of dancers that came along was dressed in very short dresses. They didn’t have any leggings on and it was evident they were EXTREMELY cold. As I watched them, I remembered how my legs used to look like that when I walked home from school in my plaid uniform skirt. Whether it was sub-freezing weather, blowing snow or just winter weather … I remember it was brutal.
Arriving at school it took forever for my body to warm up and feel normal again. The return trip home was dreaded just as much. Somewhere along the line, I started to wear long pants under my uniform. It wasn’t cool – in fact, it was pretty dorky but finally my legs were no longer tender to the touch.
I haven’t been that cold in a very long time but seeing those young dancers put me right back in my school years in upstate NY. It was a relief to get home and get warm again!
- If You’re Irish (margekatherine.com)
- St Patrick’s Day parade draws thousands to downtown Fort Collins (coloradoan.com)
- Top of the Morning (margekatherine.com)
- Revelers brave frosty temperatures for St. Patrick’s Day Parade (montreal.ctvnews.ca)
- St. Patricks’ Day Parade in Fort Collins (lovingfortcollinsblog.wordpress.com)
- St. Patty’s Day (comeongetreal.wordpress.com)
- An Irish Blessing (andiesisle.com)
- Fort Collins St Patrick’s Day Parade [PICTURES] (k99.com)
I is for the Irish in your bonny eyes my dear
R is right for when you’re right, you have no cause to fear
E is for Eileen, my mother’s name I mean and
L is for the love I have for that sweet colleen
A is for the angels who are watching over you
N is never fear, keep smiling through
D is for your daddy’s lesson that I pray will be a blessing
Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!