Shall we say goodbye to August? In just a few more days we’ll be flipping the pages of the calendar and looking at colorful leaves, some bubbling brooks or maybe a basket full of apples. The calendar tries to ease us ever so slowly into the next month. You probably know by now that Autumn is my favorite of all the seasons (so favorite that it needs to be capitalized!)
I love the colors, smells and sounds that nature releases and the cool morning air and chilly nights.
I smile at the wilting plants, herbs gone to seed and unpicked goodies.
I picked apples last week. This year Colorado had a bumper crop of apples, pears, peaches … you name it! I visited an orchard and picked to my heart’s content. As I was driving to the weight station, I found another stand of trees just begging me to pick, pick, pick! And, I did. The Honeycrisp apples are small this year but the flavor just drips out of them. Trust me on that one.
Thirty two pounds later I am happy to say I am eating 3-4 apples per day. I also plan to go back and get more. I can put some in my freezer, make applesauce, or give them away. To me, apples are the essence of Autumn.
Soon the Western Slope Peaches from Palisade, Colorado will be delivered to our community and my oh my … Move over apples! There will be no room in the fridge for anything else and that’s ok!
- Take a Bite Into Fall With Apple-Inspired Ingredients (bellasugar.com)
- Honeycrisp (en.wikipedia.org)
- Yummy Autumn Scents (fabsugar.com)
- Why Caramel Apples are the Sweetest Fall Tradition (berries.com)
- Great Lakes apple harvest off to early start (utsandiego.com)
- what a peach! (ourownsweettime.com)
- Dear Aunt Audrey, (goldstarintentions.wordpress.com)
- Paleo Coconut-Apple-Almond Egg Muffins (sweetbetweens.com)
- Virginia apple orchards report apple shortages, expect price increase (wsls.com)